Professor Robert Emmons is the leading researcher in the new science of gratitude and he shares three domains which gratitude works in our lives. When we work with gratitude, we see it influence each of these areas of our lives. It changes us from our bone marrow to our flesh to our minds and souls.
The researcher Rothenberg and his team defines gratitude as “a social-emotional process that results in a sense of happiness, joy, or appreciation due to receiving something based not on one’s own efforts but rather on the giver’s free and unrestricted intentions to give”. (2016)
Implications of Gratitude in life:
- Higher levels of positive emotions
- More alert, alive, and awake
- More joy and pleasure
- More optimism and happiness
- More helpful, generous, & compassionate
- More forgiving & outgoing
- Feeling less lonely & isolated
- Stronger immune systems
- Less bothered by aches and pains
- Lower blood pressure
- Exercise more and take better care of their health
- Sleep longer and feel more refreshed upon waking
As you can see the influence of gratitude is fairly thorough and that is why it is so life-changing.
To action GRATITUDE in your life, both professionally and personally, it begins with a choice, followed by three simple steps…
Today, as you choose to be grateful you will… Look for it. Take it in. Give it back.